Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Phoenician Grill

Amos and I are lovers of Greek food! We usually cannot get enough of it. So much so, that I started making a wonderful hummus here are home. Well, we usually go to the same 2 or 3 Greek/Mediterranean places. We decided it was time to try something new. Well, a few months ago we bought one of those 50/50 Friday Deals and it was for the Phoenician Grill on Johnston Street. So we decided to take a trip and try it out yesterday for supper. Here's how it went:



I was really excited to try Phoenician Grill. From the sounds of it, this place might really be the best in the area. We were only one of three tables when we arrived at 5:30 pm. But first impression left me a little disappointed as they we already out of tea. If you know me, you know I drink Tea wherever I go. I gave up soft drinks a long time ago! About mid meal I received an unsweetened tea.

We ordered the Halloumi Cheese as an appetizer. It came with pita and was okay. It wasn't the best I've had. Though it tasted good, it was hardly cooked and I really enjoy the fried outside when done right!

For the entree I ordered the Combination Plate. It came with Gyro meat, chicken shwarma, greek salad, hummus and rice.

First, the meat I don't believe came off of a rotating spit like I am accustomed to. The lamb and the chicken both appeared to have been in steak form and seared then cut. It was nothing like I imagined it would be. The rice had no real taste and the hummus was pretty bland as well. I know not all Greek/Mediterranean places are the same, but the one thing I assumed would be good was the greek salad. I was sorely mistaken! This was the worst greek salad I have ever encountered!

This meal, though not cheap, was one I wish I could forget! I left very unsatisfied and disappointed!


Good Points: The restaurant was very clean and the staff was very pleasant and attentive
Bad Points: The Food

Would I recommend this restaurant? I don't think I would!
Would I dine there again? Not ever!


Rating:




Happy Eating!











Enjoying a variety of foods, I ordered the Phoenician Sampler. It came with Chicken Shwarma, Gyro Meat, Rice, Greek Salad, Grape Leaves also known as Dolmathes,and a Kibbi which is ground lamb meat with wheat and spices deep fried. What can I say about all of this food? At least the rice was good. I took one bite of the bland kibbie and decided that I was not going to eat it. The Grape leaves which are one of my favorites were rolled in the size of a dime not like with more grape leaves than meat and rice, and to top it off the Grape leaves were so overpowering that I couldn't taste the insides.



Good Points: No wait to get in
Bad Points:
Food wasn't very good (no wonder there was no wait to get in)
Would I recommend this restaurant? No Way
Would I dine there again? Not Even if the food was free


Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment